Tuesday, March 14, 2006

For the Widows In Paradise, for the Fatherless In Ypsilanti


Oh! My.

I simply cannot get this song out of my head. I'm sorry to say that I heard it on The OC, but there- I said it, I put it out there, and now I feel better.

But really, this song... THIS SONG. I feel a wee bit closer to whatever it is I'm looking for. It's just so kind, so generous.

I mean, let's start with the title: For the Widows In Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti. Does it get any better than this? I love this artist, love the theme of "U.S. States" that his albums follow (he's gonna do one for each state, and started with Michigan because homeboy's from Detroit), and love the quirkyness. Love it.

And it's such a beautifully heartbreaking funeral song. It got me feeling sad about Johnny's death on The OC (and you KNOW I don't care about him), and it magically appeared of a mix CD from my boo david foley at the exact time I needed it most... during the recent death of a friend's mom. During the death filled days of early 2006. During the depressing joblessness that I must endure.

Clearly,I'm a fan. And I'm gushing because I just never expected to be affected so much by a song. I mean, I love many different types of music, but lately, nothing has spoken to me so humanely as this guy. Nothing.

********************************************************
For the Widows In Paradise, for the Fatherless In Ypsilanti

I have called you children, I have called you son.
What is there to answer if I'm the only one?
Morning comes in paradise, morning comes in light.
Still I must obey, still I must invite.

If there's anything to say,
If there's anything to do,
If there's any other way, I'll do anything for you.

I was dressed embarrassment I was dressed in whine.
If you had a part of me, will you take your time?
Even if I come back, even if I die.
Is there some idea to replace my life?

Like a father to impress, like a mother's morning dress
If (I) you ever make a mess, I'll do anything for you.

I have called you preacher, I have called you son.
If you have a father or if you haven't one.

I'll do anything for you
I'll do anything for you
I'll do anything for you
I'll do anything for you

I did everything for you
I did everything for you
I did everything for you
I did everything for you

I did everything for you, I did everything for you.
********************************************************
From the CD titled, "Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lake State."

His website is even better because you can read what he has to say, and listen to clips of each, song... click on "Paradise" on the map, and you'll hear my favorite song. He also wrote this:

(Click Here to find the CD on Amazon.)

You'd think, by the way I'm gushing, that I'm getting paid for such an endorsement, but I assure you no. Just like my love of Diet Coke, this is free advertisement, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home