Sunday, September 25, 2005

Miss Maryland


Ok, so... 9th Grade at St. Paul's School for Girls means many things: our uniform now consists of skirts AND jumpers (score!), we finally have classes with boys (foreign language and some sciences), coordinated musicals/dramas, and Spirit Dances. Really tres exciting (insert tongue in cheek).

9th grade also meant geometry. And for molly- geometry was not a good thing. I believe I've already sufficiently established my aversion to the world of sciences, but math was never a problem for me. Much.

BUT- geometry, not my bag, baby. Theorems? Proofs? Huh? I couldn't fathom it. Too abstract. Too unnecessary, it seemed to me, to prove something that has already been proven. I didn't want to create theories, I just wanted to solve problems. And geometry didn't let me do that.

So... is it my fault that I was a little distracted in class? I'll accept minimal responsibility. But only minimal, because I had a crazy ass teacher... one LuAnn Blackman. And SHE. HATED. ME. Not sure why.

Mrs. Blackman had a "thing" about throwing objects: specifically sharpish objects- pens, pencils, those little things that you use to draw perfect circles (see- i told you i hated geometry), chalk ...you get the picture. Friend and fellow geometry classmate Lib had this to say, which beautifully sums up the situation:

"Do you guys remember how she would always freak about eye injuries that could possibly be inflicted by projectiles including pens and chalk because her husband worked at the eye clinic. And we always assumed he was a doctor but then it turned out he was in administration and she was just a freak? Ah the good old days."

Yes, Mrs. Blackman was a weird little lady. You couldn't toss a girl a can of Diet Coke without "the lecture." Well, like Lib mentioned, I once got kicked out of Geometry for tossing a pencil- TOSSING A PENCIL- a dull one, at that, to Marcela freshman year. I received the same lecture as described, only since Marcela was her prized pupil, you'd have thought I sacrificed the Christ Child. Holy Jeebus!

In fact, now that I think of it, Mrs. Blackman hated me just as much as she hated Pallavi... only she didn't like Pallavi due to lack of geometric skills, and me because I almost took out her star pupil. But I'm over it, clearly.

Imagine my surprise when my friend Allyson sent THIS ARTICLE around our SPSG email group.

Miss Maryland Eh? Incredible. Must have been some STIFF competition. And I can say I knew her when... Silly pageantry.

I hope this is as amusing to all of you faithful readers as it is to me. But if not, well, at least I gave you one thing more to read today, no?

Be smart, be good, and don't throw anything sharp because you may poke someone's eye out and fail geometry.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly - Just admit it. You want to be crowned Miss Maryland, laser-bleached teeth, bad highlights and all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home