Saturday, August 13, 2005

location, location, location

I'm trying to focus on the good and forget about the bad. I really am. In fact, were y'all here... you'd give me an "A" for effort- I'm sure of it. But you're not here, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Until I moved to Richmond, I had no idea how badly I, or people as a whole, generalize people based on where they are from. I mean- to know me is to know I loathe Pittsburgh. That is not a secret. But I'm fairly certain that everyone has at least one city that they detest.

Going to school in DC has done much to mask this problem... GW was and is a veritable melting pot of cultures, religions, sexualities, ethnicities, values and backgrounds and it was amazing, but that is beside the point. The point is when an individual is submerged in the raw energy of all GW has to offer... and then that energy is compounded by the "anywhere but here" energy of DC and all of its "come heres"... well, it's easy to forget how much we generalize.

Enter Richmond.

Ever since I came down here, I've struggled to realize why I just can't ever feel at ease... and now it's so obv. I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner... I'M IN THE SOUTH. People here are slow and laid back and friendly and polite and happy-go-lucky... and even if they aren't- you'd never know it because of the laid back attitude. And see... I'm JUST NOT LIKE THAT. I mean- I'm so obviously just not like that...

In DC, I was par for the course... neither too anxious nor too laid back- I was the norm. I'm used to people being pushy, rude, overbearing, in your face, and generally abrasive. I can work with that. But here, people and just too damn friendly for their own good. And that's just plain weird. And unsettling.

I mean... how does anyone get anything done?!?!?

In summation- I will learn to embrace my northern way of thinking/acting/being and just wait patiently until I can return home sweet home: where no one trusts anyone and where a girl can just be left alone to be who she is: neuroses (sp)and all.

Love,
~molly

P.S. And for the love of god-- could you please tell the landscapers in my Apartment complex to lay off the lawnmowers until, oh I don't know, AT LEAST 8 AM!??!?!?! It's a Saturday for Christ's sake. Holy Jeebus. (I apologize for the religious blasphemes but they are particularly relevant right now)

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the love of god, please dont keep us waiting any longer...im in need of my next fix...is a little somin somin every other day too much to ask?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home